Rep. Steve Scalise (R – LA) just appeared on Fox News. One of his talking points? The so-called “Green New Deal.”
“The Green New Deal,” he said. “Just think about how laughable… cows are banned… planes are banned…”
Of course, this is pure B.S. But it’s a common GOP talking point. And, as they continue to hammer on this fantasy, their core supporters eat it up.
Scalise’s idiotic depiction of the Green New Deal came on the heels of a comment on how much Trump has done “to get this economy moving again.”
Which, in reality is almost nothing. The economy crashed under our last Republican president – George W. Bush. The economy got moving again under President Obama. Under Obama…
- Unemployment dropped significantly
- The stock market came roaring back
- The avalanche of home foreclosures slowed to a trickle.
But Trump and the Republicans are taking credit for it all.
They’re Gaslighting America… and we have to call them on it every time.
The Republican Assault on Truth Rules the Twitterverse
My Twitter feed this morning included these pro-Trump posts…
- The GOP quoted chairwoman Ronna McDaniel, saying “… the Democrat Party wants to take away Pretty much everything from the American people… to fund a health care plan.” This, of course, is blatantly false.
- A GOP re-tweet of a McDaniel post claiming, “[Democrats]want the government to take over every aspect of our lives from education to health care.” Again, completely false.
- A misleading post from Rep. Jim Jordan doing a hatched job on Jim Comey.
- A post from Sarah Huckabee Sanders mis-stating the Democratic position on firearms.
- A wildly spun post from the “Trump War Room” saying Pete Buttigieg accused Trump voters in his state of “supporting racism.” He didn’t. He said, at best, Trump voters are “looking the other way” on the issue. And the comment wasn’t aimed at Hoosiers.
- Another GOP retweet – this one from Elizabeth Harrington – implying Beto O’Rourke was in favor of ignoring the 2ndAmendment, and wanted to take away everyone’s guns. O’Rourke actually said he was in favor of ending private ownership of assault weapons.
And on and on it went. Every single Republican tweet I read was either misleading or out-and-out false.
Luckily for us, the Democrats have an active well-orchestrated truth machine countering this onslaught on reality.
Just kidding. For the most part, the Dems seem to ignore the GOP gaslighting campaign… with just a few notable exceptions.
The Democratic Party Is Wimping Out
This morning’s tweet from the Dems? An offer to win two tickets to the next candidates’ debate. I kid you not.
The GOP flooded Twitter with misinformation – or massive “spin,” if you prefer. The Dems respond by offering two tickets to a snooze-fest. Really? Have they learned nothing from The Squad? Apparently so.
Meanwhile, a Republican PAC ran an ad during the Democratic debate depicting an image of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC) going up in flames. That’s a violent act that encourages more acts of violence.
AOC responded by calling out Republican “hysteria” and laying out her party’s goals. Fellow Rep. Rashida Tlaib backed her up.
But the Democratic Party? Crickets.
I follow the Dems on Twitter, and they post far less than the GOP. The opposition is pumping out an endless stream of mis-information… and the Dems remain virtually silent.
For a growing number of voters, social media is a key source of information… and the Dems are blowing it. Who could have imagined a bunch of old white guys could out-gun the diverse Democratic Party on social media?
But it sure seems to be happening.
Guess what, Dems. If you don’t wise up, democracy as we know it will be at an end. So enough with the snooze-fest tickets already!
You have to fight back.
And that means more of your team has to spend a lot more time at their keyboards.
Demographics Are on Our Side
The GOP is the party of old white men. The party of religious conservatives. The party of white nationalists.
Democrats tend to be younger, more diverse, and technologically savvier. Better educated. So why isn’t the party reaching out more effectively on social media? Lord only knows.
The Dems lost state houses because the party focused on the big picture. And all but ignored local races. Now they seem to be losing the social media battle because…
Because… Well, nobody has a good idea why. Lack of trying, maybe? Did the party learn nothing from Obama’s online success? Apparently so.
The GOP is blanketing social media with misinformation. The longer the Dems ignore it, the stronger the grip these lies will have.
Look… Dems have the demographic advantage. They need to use it. They need to get more active online. To broadcast the truth on social media. To fight fear-mongering with facts. To call out the GOP’s lies and mis-representations.
To flood social media with the truth.
The Squad can’t do it for you. But they canset an example. Yes; they’re younger and more progressive. But – in the final analysis – their goals are the same as yours: An America that’s just. That shining light on the hill.
2020 is fast approaching. Our democracy may not withstand 4 more years of Trump. But it’s not too late.
President Obama showed how powerful social media can be. The Squad has shown how easily it can be turned to your cause.
The truth is a powerful ally. Use it to counter the GOP’s Gaslight campaign online. Because the alternative is unthinkable.